My Humble Abode

The illustrious ramblings of an idiosyncratic fellow (Man of Feeling, perhaps?), complete with nonsensical tintinabulations

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Mon cher ---, c'est te ton tour, de te laissez parlez d'amour!

In case none of you have ever went to a french birthday party, the title of this blog is actually a french birthday song. Literally translated, it goes "my dear ---, it is your turn, to let us talk to you about love." Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me, but between you and me, the french do a lot of weird things. I say that with the deepest respect, of course.

I have relatives that are french. Which probably only serves to further the stereotype that they are weird.

I have been contemplating my literary theory a lot, and have been coming on a bit of a writer's slump. I need more of a purpose, something more elaborate than my previous works.

Or maybe it is that I just need a break from it all... but that is a scary thought which I will not heed until I must. The thought of going any extended period without my precious writing is... well, its tantamount to breaking up a relationship. Sad, but true. In fact, its like breaking up in a married relationship, because I have devoted my life to writing. Okay, so we don't really have honeymoons together and the sex is boring, and a little bit painful what with the papercuts. Okay, hopefully everyone who reads this knows that the previous line was a joke... a very bad one at that.

At any rate, my purpose as of late has been either in description of love (to which I think any poet/writer uses his talents) but I have been searching for a bigger reason to write. My basic literary theory as of late has been that I want to become a sort of psychiatric writer (and no that doesn't mean I am going to be crazy) who writes therapeutic work for others. Not "chicken soup" crap, but stuff that people can relate to, stories that give them direction, and allow them to feel connected to someone (that is, the author, that is, me) in a way that can make them feel less alone. I think writing can very much be a therapy in that regards, and its why I think so many people fall in love with a great story. Heroes tell us how to be strong, villains teach us the dangers of our actions, and the ones that blur the line between the two teach us of humanity by portraying someone less than perfect but less than evil as well.

Hm... I think my explanation of literary theory is beginning to give me some direction...

Damn I'm good, I even work as therapy for myself :p

Now, where did I leave that sammidge???

1 Comments:

Blogger J said...

do i sense a pattern?? :P
(K)

4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home