My Humble Abode

The illustrious ramblings of an idiosyncratic fellow (Man of Feeling, perhaps?), complete with nonsensical tintinabulations

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

From Abstract to Tangible: Intellectual Capital turned Practical

In the long haul to develop an idea and a marketable product, I have come at a crossroads between tangible and intangible.

In his book, Intellectual Capital (which can be found on my squidoo lens), Thomast Stewart comments that the most valuable asset any company has are its intangibles; great minds make money more directly for a company in today's society than sheer resources once did for the business-makers of the past, and structural capital is becoming less and less important, with more and more a focus on intangible, intellectual capital.

However, it is hard to make money, or even to survive, off of pure intangibles. Take for instance the example of my site. At its current inception, the 'capital' or product of the site is purely intellectual. I am attempting to make money off of my passion for writing stories, and as such there are quite a few stories, articles on storytelling, film reviews, and as much as I can have concerning storytelling. I even have a message board where people can talk about storytelling, either within the context of my works or within a more broad context.

I hope to make money off of creating a hub for storytellers to gather. I hope to not only make money, but also to encourage a growth in the artistic industry that I see as increasingly necessary-- let's face it, the good storytellers nowadays are few and far between, and, dare I say, slightly less impressive than the halls of heroes from the canon. Though we have Neil Gaiman, we have no Charles Dickens. Though we have Stephen King, we have no E. A. Poe...

I hope to help by creating an invaluable service: hard, honest critical theory and interpretation of a text's storytelling abilities. Though perhaps each element of the site might be found elsewhere, it is the combination of theory and practice that I rarely see in the art of storytelling. I see English teachers abandoning the practice and focusing on critique and formal essays. While I see the importance of theory, I also see the importance of practice-- the two should be mutually supportive, and this is the environment I not only hope to foster, but hope to make necessary.

How do I hope to do this? Well, as my mission statement states, I hope to advocate, participate, and create, and I think those three things are not commonly found together.

All that said, I also hope to gather up a few tangible assets. While I am sure it is possible, I am having a very difficult time creating a product and service that is completely intangible. I am not content to sit and wait, but I want to actively engage the storytelling community, taking them away from their years of comfort and hubris and turning the storytelling community into something epic...

Is it possible with but a few comic strips, a few comic pages, and a few chapters of two novels on the site? We shall see, I suppose...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home